2 a horizontal crosspiece across a window or separating a door from a window over it [syn: traverse]
- A crosspiece over a door; a lintel.
- A small hinged window above a door or another window.
- A horizontal dividing bar in a window.
- Any of several transverse structural members in a ship, especially at the stern; a thwart.
- The flat or nearly flat stern of a boat or ship.
- The horizontal beam on a cross or gallows.
- (small hinged window above door): fanlight
crosspiece over a door
- Finnish: kamana
small hinged window above a door
- French: vasistas
flat stern of a vessel
- Finnish: peräpeili
The term transom may refer to:
air duct, air hole, air passage, air shaft, air tube, airway, bay, bay window, blowhole, bow window, breathing hole, casement, casement window, cross bitt, crossarm, crossbar, crosspiece, doubletree, fan window, fanlight, grille, lancet window, lantern, lattice, light, louver, louver window, louverwork, naris, nostril, oriel, pane, picture window, port, porthole, rose window, shaft, singletree, skylight, spilehole, spiracle, swingletree, touchhole, transept, transversal, transverse, traverse, vent, ventage, venthole, ventiduct, ventilating shaft, ventilator, whippletree, wicket, wind tunnel, window, window bay, window glass, windowpane